Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Mindset

Sometimes it seems that in running we sometimes forget to enjoy the moment and embrace our success. We run slower then we want to, don't finish were we expect and get down in the dirt, worrying that our training isn't going as planned, or that its time to train harder. So when we hit that point, what do we do? Do we start over, do we increase the training load or just finish out the year. Running can be an enjoyable and fantastic experience, but during the hard training we sometimes forget it as is basic purpose and find new ways to be unhappy with it.
I have been having a much harder time this particular year really getting focused on improving my own running and just haven't had the desire to do better and do what it takes to become faster. Strides, drills, stretching, lifting and intervals all add together to make the athlete better, but its the desire to actually do what is required to be the best that is always hard to find in anybody.
I am guilty for not enjoying the moment, and instead find myself worrying about why I was 21 seconds slower then last year at the Classic 10k, or why I cant run faster then 3 years ago at one of my favorite 5k's. I found myself thing about all of this today, and realized that its time to figure out what I want to get out of my running. What do I want to do, hit pr's in the 5 and 10k, get faster and stronger or just enjoy running. I will sit down with the guy that was coaching me for quite a while and figure this all out. I need to figure out what workouts I enjoy, and what I don't and find a balance. The base it there, but the wheels can't run faster without working out faster. I think I will stick to my goals of someday running under 14:20 for the 5k, and under 29:30 for the 10k. You always have to have a good goal in mind to push for. I have been very lucky to have a great group of guys to run with this summer. Everyday we all just run all around Colorado Springs on the many different trails that we are lucky to have. It amazes me to think that I can run somewhere different every day and not hit the same trails all the time. By the way, on a Sunday run with Robby Young recently we concluded that Gold Camp road is out Magnolia road and we would not have it any other way. I think we saw one other person in 8 miles of climbing that day are were rewarded with fantastic views of Colorado Springs from about 9500+ feet up.

1 comment:

  1. Good post AR ... I think we are all drawn to the journey as much as the destination. For those of us who love the journey as much as the destination, we will continue to run and enjoy it even when the days of PRs fall away ...

    ReplyDelete